Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy 2013!

Last Sunday I was ill. I went to Sacrament meeting, had the opportunity to be administered to for my health, then went home. I decided that I wanted to watch the Conference talk that they would be discussing in Relief Society, since I was unable to be there. I have read the talk before in my normal studies, but I hadn't really seen it since Amy's family was here and there were busy little boys keeping us, well, busy! (It's okay with me, I love them that much!)

This talk was given by President Dieter Uchtdorf, and is entitled, "Of Regrets and Resolutions". The premise of his talk is about a nurse that interviewed her patients that were terminally ill, asking them "do you have any regrets?"  Three of the answers were:

  1. I wish I had spent more time with the people that I love.
  2. I wish I had lived up to my potential.
  3. I wish I had let myself be happier.
President Uchtdorf is certainly one of my favorite speakers, as are quite a few others, I admit! He just seems to get to the heart of whatever he is conveying. He goes on to tell us in his talk about how we can resolve to not have the regrets mentioned by; choosing to spend more time with our family and those we love, to work on becoming the person that our Heavenly Father wants us to be, and finally, to find happiness regardless of our circumstances.

Those all seem like really obvious things to do, and sometimes they may seem like a tall order, what with our imperfections and all. I was talking to Amy about this talk yesterday and I told her that this talk made me feel like I want to be better, to try harder...but not in a guilt-ridden, negative way. Rather it felt like a new beginning, a rebirth, for my soul. Reading this talk is so positive and uplifting that you can't help but feel that way. Nothing is insurmountable when it comes to improving ourselves; as long as we take it one step at a time and don't expect to hurdle each and every imperfection that we have in our lives.

This will sound kind of crazy/silly...but one of my first steps was to remove each and every game from my Kindle Fire. I have no need of that in my life, what I do have a need for is reading good books that help me to be a better person in general; like "Jane Eyre", which I am currently reading! (Thanks Rach for the recommendation!)

I am grateful for this New Year! For the hope and positive outlook that we can have if we just look in the right places to find it. We truly are so blessed, and I am so very grateful.


No comments:

Post a Comment