Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Trials

Some days our lives feel filled with trials. A friend of ours spoke in Sacrament meeting on Sunday, on a talk given in April Conference, regarding trials. One of the things he mentioned were the trials that the pioneers went through. I am certain I have thought of this before, but I forget things, so if I've mentioned it prior to this, please forgive me. However, it is a lesson that bears repeating (and remembering!). If the pioneers had not faced the tribulation and the trials they faced would it be much of a story? Or would we just kind of say, "the pioneers walked from Nauvoo to Salt Lake City" in a 'once upon a time', wistful fashion? I believe they endured their trials not only for themselves, but for us. They showed us the way to endure, to have faith, to follow the right, and to do so with our standards intact, and with love in our hearts.

My favorite scripture is found in 2 Ne 31:20, which reads:
"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the words of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: ye shall have eternal life."

We have someone in our family that is experiencing a huge trial right now. My heart goes out to them, and to their family. I know that this trial is difficult, and it seems so pointless right now. I also know that this individual is strong; in faith, in life, and in hope. I know that the trials we have are ours. Sure, others may have similar ones, but the ones we have are for our good, eventually. I also know from personal experience that there are times when we feel alone, and by alone, I mean that you feel that Heavenly Father is not near. I also know, that even though you might feel that way, there is nothing further from the truth. He is there, He knows and understands your pain, your sorrow. He isn't necessarily going to 'fix' things, but He will certainly make you strong enough to stand in spite of them.

You never know what you get when you express certain things, and sometimes that frightens me, because it feels like I am begging for more...but at the risk of that happening, I will say - I am grateful for the trials I have endured in my life (through the help of the Spirit and those who love me), because they have laid a firm foundation - one which I will never be able to question or cast doubt upon. I am grateful that I can look back at those trials and see the hand of the Lord - for He "reaches my reaching", and I am ever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment