Monday, December 9, 2013

No Murm'ring Word

Yesterday in Sacrament meeting we sung, "Behold the Great Redeemer Die". This is one of my favorite hymns because it has significant meaning to me. Once upon a time, when I was a student at BYU, I was finding me, my testimony, who I was. The interesting thing was, I didn't know that I hadn't until I was on my own. Sure, I had a testimony, but was it rock solid? Not quite yet, but it was getting there.

One day in Sacrament meeting as we sung the aforementioned hymn, I was struck with the thought of how much everything good in our lives comes from our Savior's actions; He has given us the opportunity to partake of everything good and worthy. Even now when I think of this experience, some 37 years later, the Spirit testifies to me of this truth.

Lately I haven't been that pleasant to live with. (shocker, I know) I don't know if it has to do with my health issues that are going on right now or just the circumstances in our lives. (nothing bad, I'm just a wimp) Even this morning Pat asked me a simple question, "What are you doing today?" and I snapped. Seriously...who does that? So not me!

I digress. Back to yesterday.

As we sung "Behold the Great Redeemer Die" I was struck with the phrase, "no murm'ring word escaped his tongue." In pondering that phrase, and all that lead up to that moment on the cross, to think that he bore all the pain and anguish that he didn't deserve, so willingly and did so without complaint, puts me to shame.

Shame.

During the Sacrament I did something I rarely do; I studied that hymn. Once again, the spirit testified to me of the simple truth that without our Savior, Jesus Christ, our lives would not be blessed in the manner that they are. We have so much because of Him.

  • He made it possible for us to repent, truly repent, with all of our faults and sins being erased, as if they never happened. 
  • He has given us the gospel in these latter days. With that comes the blessings of the Priesthood; which brings SO much with it - eternal families, temple work, missionary work, etc., etc., etc..
  • He makes it possible for us to communicate with our Father through prayer. Anywhere, anytime, in any condition. Always.
  • He and our Father have given us the gift of the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost is my friend. He guides me when I need it, he calms my troubled heart, he gives me answers from our Father, he helps me understand more and to serve more. He, too, does so much for us.

The bottom line is this - The Savior blessed us by willingly coming to earth to live as a man, albeit a perfect man. He willingly took the time to teach others, and those teachings are found in the scriptures, which is another great blessing for each of us. Then, He willingly took upon himself our sins, our pains, in the Garden of Gethsemane. He also willingly sacrificed his earthly life so that He could be resurrected and return to dwell with our Father; which makes it possible for us to return to Him as well.

Yet, even though he did all of this, and did it without murmuring, I, in my weakness murmur at simple things in life that I should not. Instead I should think of His example, and just plain be better.

Moroni 7: 24 - "and all things which are good cometh of Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment