Friday, September 7, 2012

Memories and inventions

I well remember when I first came to being around a VCR. It was amazing. My dad, an attorney, had done some work for a client that owned a video store. Back in those days you couldn't actually purchase a VCR unless you owned a store. It was amazing, simply AMAZING, to be able to watch movies at home, that weren't televised! I fell in love immediately, and longed for the day our family would be able to own one as well. First movies watched on the VCR? "Annie", and "Popeye". (there weren't a lot available back then, but then, who cared?)

Fast forward several years, and Rachel would soon be born. I knew it'd be a time when I'd need some 'assistance' in recovering from yet another c-section, and taking care of 3 children plus an infant. So, we splurged and bought our first VCR. I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $200. Believe it, it's true, yes, indeed. It was worth every penny.

When Rach was an infant, and we had our new, and much-loved VCR, we had learned the joy of recording television shows. We love/d anything Disney, so we happily recorded "Winnie the Pooh", and the kids loved it! In fact, Amy loved it so much, that one night about 8:30, she climbed out of bed, came to us and said, "mo pooh?" We had no idea what she was talking about, so she walked over to the VCR, got a tape in hand, and repeated herself. AHA! Puzzle solved. With cuteness like that how could we turn her down? Of course she was able to watch one episode of her then favorite show! Then she climbed happily back in bed.

As I mentioned yesterday I am organizing, moving things around, readying things... in doing so I found a bunch of favorite movies on VHS. Titles like, "To Catch a Thief", "Arsenic and Old Lace", "White Christmas", to name a few. Rach and I discussed these oldies last night and it brought me to my next question, what to do with our B of M videos? She said to give them away, but who in the world owns a VCR? Wait, we do. Yet, I will be getting rid of them...sadly enough, and the VCR.

I am grateful for all the hours of entertainment the VCR brought us. When I was growing up I'd never have dreamt that it was possible to show movies in our home, yet alone record TV shows! I am also grateful for DVD's (and BlueRays - which we don't own), they sure cut down on storage space!

No comments:

Post a Comment