Monday, January 16, 2012

Cauliflower Soup

One of the wonderful things about visiting Utah is that they have so many great restaurants! Cafe Rio is one of the most favored by Californians (since they are always serving it at RS meetings/dinners here).  Another favorite of ours is Magleby's Fresh - they have the best french toast, well, the best buttermilk syrup to go with their french toast! Amazing!

But, my go to restaurant whenever I visit Utah is Zupa's. I know, I am unusual. Amy introduced me to Zupa's and we have been going there for something like five years now. Almost every time I go I get their Cauliflower Soup...or their Strawberry Fields salad, it's all good. Really, all of it is fabulous! I recommend it highly.

Today I was in the mood for something mild, warm and comforting. Seeing as how there is no Zupa's anywhere near here, and I was going grocery shopping I figured I could purchase all the ingredients I did not have on hand for a close replica of Zupa's Cauliflower soup. The girls and I have been making this for a few years. We all love it.

As soon as I walked in the door from grocery shopping I began the process of making the soup. When all was said and done, I was not disappointed...not one teensy bit.

I am grateful for this recipe - it warms my heart and soul.

Bonus! I am sharing it with you ---


Zupa’s Cauliflower Soup… almost

2 T butter
1 medium onion, chopped (optional)
¼ cup all purpose flour
½ t. salt
2 cups milk
1 can (13 ¾ oz – 14 ½ ) chicken broth

1 head (2 ½ lbs.) cauliflower (or can use frozen), cut into one inch pieces
1 t. Dijon mustard
1 pkg. (8 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups)
1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded

1.     In 4 qt. saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.  Add onion and cook until golden, about ten minutes, stirring occasionally.  Stir in flour and salt; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
2.     Gradually stir in milk, chicken broth and 1 ½ cups water; add cauliflower and heat to boiling over high heat.  Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until cauliflower is tender, about ten minutes.
3.     In blender (with center part of blender lid off) blend cauliflower mixture at a low speed in small batches until very smooth.
4.     Return cauliflower mixture to saucepan.  Heat over medium heat until hot, stirring occasionally.  Remove saucepan from heat; stir in mustard and all but ½ cup of cheddar cheese.  Garnish soup with remaining cheese to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment