Friday, June 28, 2013

Summer Evenings, and Mornings

When I was young I loved summer time. It meant playing outside with my friends, and going camping with my family. Then, as a teenager, it meant spending time at the beach with my friends, or at their homes, just hanging out.

These days I'm not such a fan of summer. (Perhaps because the beach isn't right down the road?) I'm figuring it's due to being a grown up, plus the HEAT of this valley. We are experiencing 100+ degree weather these days, of which I am not a fan. The best thing about this heat (usually) is that we do have cool nights (unless the weather is super hot). With that comes the experience of sitting outside in the backyard on our porch swing, enjoying the scent of the jasmine, and the beauty of the agapanthus (which I have decided should be called something like "fireworks" since they spread out into a massive ball of flowers). It is not only a great way to cool off, but a great way to relax, to take time from the hustle and bustle of the day and just be.

Then, in the mornings I love to get up and open up all the windows, curtains, and blinds around our home to let the cool morning air in. There is something about it that just makes it a great way to begin the day.

I love these little traditions I have, and am grateful for the peace they bring, along with the gratitude that fills my heart.

PS- sitting on the swing also reminds me of Rach and the countless talks we've had there...makes me miss her. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment