Monday, October 7, 2013

Figuring things out

Today has been one of those days, it seems if it could go wrong, it has. Actually, I'm not exaggerating...that much. I had to run a few errands, and maybe people are just crazy, rude, or perhaps just plain thoughtless, but there were a lot of people not driving very well today which caused me a bit of angst. I'm grateful I made it home safely. Phew!

On another note, which is what my post is really about, I'm grateful that I can figure things out. Last night I was unable to sleep, so after tossing and turning for a solid hour I decided to get up. I thought it'd be a fantastic idea to do our budgeting - because that's what I like to do late at night, no, seriously, I do.

However, I thought I'd look at my mom's account as well, and get everything up to date. After looking at my numbers, then looking at the bank's numbers, it was obvious someone had made an error. It was me. I couldn't figure out the error, after going through her entire account since last October, it just didn't make sense. I must have gone through it at least four times. By the time I finished my brain felt like mush. However, after persevering I finally went through each and every deposit - figuring I'd find the culprit. AND I did. By then it was 1:30 AM, and not only my brain but my body felt like mush. I needed sleep, and I needed it badly. So, off to bed I went, with the resolve to take care of this problem today.

This morning, after getting myself ready for the day, and taking care of  few things I looked for a blank check register, only to find that we have none. (I always keep them on hand, always!) That brought me to the thought that I needed to head to the bank, because believe me the check register that I was working on last night was a scribbly nightmare! There was no way I could continue to use that. I needed a nice clean slate register.

Gratefully I was able to talk to a banker and he went and picked up the register for me. Before long I was home and was able to 'fix' what was wrong. I'm grateful the mistake was in my mom's favor, since I apparently didn't add in one entire Social Security check for her. That's a whole lot better than having too many! At any rate, I'm really grateful this problem is fixed.

I'm also pretty sure I'm not going to love doing budgeting late at night any more. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment