Monday, October 21, 2013

Motherhood

This morning I was perusing Pinterest, just because I had time to. :)

While doing so I came across this pin about clearing your house of 40 bags of stuff in 40 days. I am in. Obviously we are attempting to do just that around here, only my mindset has been this: if we were moving what would we really want to take with us?

That was what lead me to this gem of a quote by Matt Walsh:

"Yes, my wife is JUST a mother. JUST. She JUST brings forth life into the universe, and she JUST shapes and molds and raises those lives. She JUST manages, directs and maintains the workings of the household, while caring for children who JUST rely on her for everything. She JUST teaches our twins how to be human beings, and, as they grow, she will JUST train them in all things, from morals, to manners, to the ABC’s, to hygiene, etc. She is JUST my spiritual foundation and the rock on which our family is built. She is JUST everything to everyone. And society would JUST fall apart at the seams if she, and her fellow moms, failed in any of the tasks I outlined."

I love this. Seriously. He summed up motherhood so well. How I remember feelings of inadequacy because I wasn't doing anything but being a mom. Sometimes I felt small; other times I felt noble - realizing the importance of my calling as a mother. In a world where success is defined by how many degrees you have, where you work, how much money you make, etc, etc, etc., I find it refreshing to know that others feel about their wives the way my husband feels about me. Yes, our children have all grown and left home; but in some ways they still need me. We find that I need to be available for them - whether it is through a phone call, or Skype, or me visiting them because they have a need - I continue to be there for them; and hope to be as long as I am living in this earthly estate.

On another note - I do keep busy with personal pursuits, along with caring for our home and family. That includes getting my mom's breakfast and dinner to her daily, seeing to her needs, running errands on her behalf, and cleaning up after her. I don't know why I am going into this; I guess because what I do means something to someone else, even though our children are no longer here with us. Sometimes I feel a need to justify why I don't have a job, why I remain a stay-at-home mom/wife/daughter. This is my life - what I do does matter, and it does make a difference.

I can only hope that Amy, Linzi and Angie realize their importance as they continue to care for the mundane task of raising children, keeping their homes in order, and their family functioning normally. To each of you - I applaud your choice to be at home with your family. That sacrifice is worth more than anything money or prestige can buy. In short, I am proud of you, and love you for your efforts in caring for our grandchildren, and your spouses. You are so much more than 'just' a mom. From the bottom of my heart I thank you.

1 comment: