Friday, June 15, 2012

Experiences

We all have difficult experiences during our lifetime. They could be of a physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual nature. These experiences allow us, someday, to be able to relate to others; to be understanding and empathetic that we would not be had we not experienced what we had. Case in point: I saw a friend from our ward at the grocery store today. He was hanging onto the shopping cart out of necessity. I knew that he hadn't been at church last Sunday because his back was hurting him...I just had no idea how much it was hurting him. As we talked in the produce section for about ten minutes (that is where I tend to see various people from our ward, it is on the way to the checkout so I guess that makes sense!) he shared with me this trial he is enduring, and how difficult it has been for him. (his wife is out of town, coming back today, but I didn't know that until that moment)

I felt horrible for him. He told me how he knows that Pat has had sciatica through the years, and he knew we'd understand what he is going through. We sure do. He also stated that if it wasn't for this incident he would have no idea what others were talking about when they express how badly it hurts, or how uncomfortable it is.

While I dislike intensely having a bad back, and the fact that Pat has had a bad back for 31 years, I also understand that it allows us to be understanding of others and that particular trial when they are going through it. It's like we've all been through this battle together, and can relate to each other more as a result.

I am grateful for the experiences we have, even those that are difficult, that allow us to learn and to grown, and to have empathy for others, and hopefully to help them in some small way...even if it's just to let them know we care.

No comments:

Post a Comment