Friday, November 25, 2011

Ability

When I was growing up my mom didn't teach me a great deal about cooking. I would get 'cooking lessons' via the phone while she was at work. She would call me around 4 PM and tell me what I was cooking and how to cook it. Eventually when I became proficient at a certain meal she would just tell me to cook that for dinner and I would.

You need to understand we didn't have a huge variety of dinners - it was mostly swiss steak, mock chow mein (i know, trust me, i know), and various other meals that I have blocked from my memory. Yes, blocked. There aren't many things I make now that I was taught to make when I was younger.

So, when I was married I ventured out and began making meals my mother never even dreamt of making. Things like chicken cordon bleu, homemade fried chicken, fettuccine alfredo, etc. My mom would tell others that I was a 'gourmet cook'. Ha! She is so funny! (and cute)

I am grateful for the ability that I have to learn new recipes and then to incorporate what we like into our meals. I am grateful for the variety of foods we eat (though there would be more if Pat's tummy could handle them).

What brought this up? Last night as Pat and I were talking about Thanksgiving I told him that our girls didn't cook the traditional turkey. He asked what they cooked instead. So, I told him - swedish meatballs, mashed potatoes, stuffing (heated up from Trader Joe's, but quite delicious I am told), fresh green beans, Aunt Bev's homemade rolls (to die for, really), and for dessert - pumpkin squares and apple pie.

I guess what I should really be grateful for is that our daughters had a great deal of experience in the kitchen, so much so that they feel 'at home' there, just like I do.

2 comments:

  1. awww, glad you are grateful you taught us well :) seriously, so blessed we had a mom who knew how important it was to teach us to cook and to love to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we're grateful for it too. we love your cooking and the ability to do it for ourselves!

    ReplyDelete