Friday, July 27, 2012

Jury duty - not!

Stockton is one of the worst cities in the US, according to some. I admit it does have it's challenges! There have been many more shootings there this year, plus it owns the proud title of the first city in the US to go bankrupt! Honestly, it has never been a place I felt totally 'safe' in. So, when I was sent a notice that I am to be available for jury duty this week there were two things that concerned me; 1) my safety, (Who would want  to spend time in Stockton? Not I.) and, 2) it could have interfered with our planned trip to Amy's house. (selfish, no doubt, but it is what it is)

I don't know about you but I have a pretty good imagination when it comes to thinking up possible scenarios of what could take place. In my mind I figured that with Stockton's current crime rate I could easily have been put on some jury regarding a murder, and who knows how long that would take? *Cringe*

I don't want to sound un-American...I probably do, but I don't want to. If the jury summons had been for Tracy or Manteca I would have happily gone, well happier-ly gone. I believe in our court system; that we should be tried by a jury of our peers. I am grateful for the fact that I did not have to serve on a jury this week (in Stockton especially), but I am also grateful for the system that is in place. When I am called to serve on a jury one day I will do so happily and proudly...let's just hope it isn't in Stockton. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment