Monday, July 16, 2012

Stephen R. Covey

Many, many years ago, once upon a time, I was a student at BYU. My favorite subjects had to do with family, and understanding the way others think and react to circumstances. One day my roommate, LeeAnn, shared with me that Stephen R. Covey, a BYU professor, was having a seminar and all students were invited to attend. It was held in the ballroom at the Wilk (which is also where Rachel's graduation took place; wonderful memories). Previously I had read "Spiritual Roots" and loved it. I went to the seminar, not knowing what to expect. I was very impressed, and he made a positive mark in my life. I have admired him ever since.

Later, when "Seven Habits" was published, we purchased a copy. We also read it, and worked on improving ourselves as a result. I also remember driving by his 'house' in Provo canyon, wondering how big it actually was, and what it was like inside. I know, because of my former roommate, Elizabeth, that Brother Covey was amazing in his personal life, as well as in his outward one. She had the privilege of growing up in his ward.

You may wonder why I would write a post about him today. Unfortunately, he passed away this morning. Apparently he had been in a bike accident in Provo canyon back in April, and had never fully recovered. Things took a turn for the worst while they vacationed in Montana, they rushed him to the hospital in Idaho Falls, where he passed away early this morning.

A wonderful man has passed away; a man who was an influence for good in the lives of many. I am so grateful for his influence in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment