Sunday, December 16, 2012

Calling inspiration

This morning I woke up at 6:30, with a prompting to do something involving my calling as Visiting Teaching Coordinator. In our church the women visit one another on a monthly basis, by assignment. They are welcome to visit one another on their own, but most of us have 3+ sisters that we visit each month. As the coordinator it is my responsibility to get the report of who has and has not been visited.

The idea of visiting teaching is that we keep tabs on one another; who is having a baby, who is having a difficult time, who needs a meal brought in, who is unemployed, or simply - who needs friends. (don't we all?) That way we can report to our Bishop all of the needs that we are aware of, and he can make assignments to take care of them, or let them be and continue to let the assigned visiting teachers take care of the situation. Everyone should be accounted for; that is the hope.

However, that is not always the case. In fact, unfortunately, it too often isn't. We report our visits or non-visits monthly, but quarterly we report to Church Headquarters. I noticed an improvement of 10% from our report in June to the one in September. Yay! Now, that isn't a huge amount, but it is progress! I wanted to let the sisters know that we appreciate them, and are grateful for their service, as visiting teachers.

I had planned on just taking some Christmas candy (Dove's, Rolo's, and Candy Cane Kisses) to pass out in class and to disperse in Primary and Young Women's. But, this morning when I woke up the thought came to me that they need something just a little bit nicer than that. What came to my mind was to make a small card for each sister, and put on the card, "We could kiss you for getting your visiting teaching done this year! Thank you!" Then, I would attach a candy kiss to the card, and hand them out.

That I did. I am grateful for the inspiration that comes with our callings. I am also grateful for the 'thank you's' and smiles I got when handing those cards out. It didn't take that long to do, it wasn't a big deal, but I was still able to simply express our thanks. How I love inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment