Monday, August 27, 2012

Old standbys

Yesterday, as I stated in my previous post, I was super bored. At one point in the day I knew I needed to do something in order to fill in the time, and feel as though I accomplished something, no matter how minor.

One of my favorite things to do is bake. Somehow it relieves stress, takes my mind off of things, and keeps me focused on something I enjoy. It's amazing, really.

As a result I chose to bake yesterday, only it's a little hot here, and I didn't want anything that took much time. (I am sure our kids can guess what I made!) I also wanted something that I knew Pat would enjoy, since he is still recuperating.

So, I went to an old standby of ours. We first got this recipe when Sam and Craig were little; I think we've had it for about thirty years. Friends of ours in our ward in Sacramento had invited us over for dinner, and she served this for dessert. It's been a favorite ever since. Don't you love recipes like that? The ones you will use over, and over, and over again? And they never lose their appeal? I am grateful for those kinds of recipes. In fact, I will share that recipe with you, right now!

Angel Squares
2 c. brown sugar
3 c flour
1 c. hot water with 1 t baking soda dissolved
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking powder
2 eggs
1 c. margarine
12 oz. chocolate chips

Combine all ingredients until well mixed by hand, add the chocolate chips last.  Spread on lightly greased cookie sheet (I decided to try it on a jelly roll pan, I liked it even better!)  Bake at 350 for 20–30 minutes.  While hot add glaze.

Glaze
1 c. powdered sugar
1 – 2 T milk (if need more add, but shouldn’t; can also use water)
Mix well, drizzle over top while bars are still warm, then spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment