Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The process

Today 'began' the Republican National Convention. I remember 'watching' it when I was growing up, thinking how boring it was. Once I became more interested in politics (thank you Ronald Reagan) I began taking it more seriously. I have also watched the Democratic Convention; at least parts of it. (I was curious as to what they would say, I think last time I watched President Clinton was running, so it's been awhile, though I may have caught a little of Obama's speech last time around...probably won't this time. Go ahead, judge me!)

My point...there is something reassuring and comforting about watching history in the making. I watched today as a large majority of the delegates voted for Romney. When Pete Wilson, former Governor of California, spoke on behalf of California I felt pride. There are many things I dislike about my home state, but I loved that he spoke with such conviction and enthusiasm. When Romney's brother from Michigan spoke for their state he was all choked up, which caused me to get a lump in my throat, and shed a tear or two.

Pat thinks it's funny/amazing that I am so 'into' politics. He has heard me talk to the TV more times than not when I agree or disagree with someone politically. It is something I am passionate about. I love my country, I feel privileged to live here, I want our country to be successful. I want for our grandchildren to enjoy the blessings of living here. I love the process we have, and am grateful for those who made and make it possible, for us to enjoy this process, this freedom, that we should never, ever take for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment