Saturday, April 14, 2012

Gardening


Our friends, the Nydeggar's, have been hosting emergency prep classes over the past two months. One of the first classes Pat attended without me, since I was out of town. It was on square foot gardening. We always have 'dreams' of having a great vegetable garden, somehow it never pans out. There is always something that gets in the way - a rainier than usual year, not ordering materials, etc. It hasn't helped that we've been discouraged from gardening thanks to the squirrels that dwell on a neighboring farm. They love the delicious fare that has been offered in previous years. :(

Since Pat attended that class he has had the gardening bug (Yay!)! He ordered the square foot gardening book on Amazon and has been studying it. He, as of today, converted our former wooden 8X8 to two 4X8 garden boxes. This morning, before going to see my mom in Sacramento, we went to OSH and purchased vegetable plants. Monday night we will plants those veggies, and hope to have an abundance to share in the coming weeks/months.

I can't wait to taste freshly grown eggplant, zucchini, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, corn, etc. It's almost too much excitement to bear! I am grateful that we can plant food and grow it. I am grateful for the experience we are gaining by doing so. Of course I hope to be grateful when we are successful in our attempts! I'll keep you posted...some day in the near future when I am enjoying some of our veggies I will let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment