Thursday, May 9, 2013

Motherhood

This morning as I perused the few blogs that I follow I was pleasantly surprised at "Our Best Bites" and their remarks about motherhood. Their thoughts took me back many years, to all the demands that motherhood entails, and to my feelings of inadequacy as I tried to be a good mom. (I never understood anyone that looked at our family and thought we were what they wanted to emulate...seriously.) I am grateful for those experiences; they have helped mold me to be the person I am today. Amy, my daughter, has said on her blog that motherhood at times has 'kicked her trash.' I know just how she feels. I felt the same way.

Along with reading the blog article I also finished (finally) last October's General Conference and was grateful for the words of our Prophet, President Thomas S. Monson. He shared these thoughts in his concluding remarks, which I found quite reassuring and uplifting.

"May we ever watch over one another, assisting in times of need. Let us not be critical and judgmental but let us be tolerant, ever emulating the Savior's example of loving-kindness."

He continues, "Let us be of good cheer as we go about our lives. Although we live in increasingly perilous times, the Lord loves us and is mindful of us. He will helps us in times of need. Difficulties come into our lives, problems we do not anticipate and which we would never choose. None of us is immune. The purpose of mortality is to learn and to grow and become more like our Father, and it is often during the difficult times that we learn the most, as painful as the lessons may be. Our lives can also be filled with joy as we follow the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ."

As I thought about those thoughts and feelings that were expressed in "Our Best Bites", I also thought about the words of President Monson. Being a mother is the best thing I have ever done - did I do the best I could possibly do? Probably not...but I tried, and I did pretty good. All of our kids know that we love them, that what I want most for them is not the success that the world would have them believe is important. No. What I want most for them is that they are truly happy, that they not only have a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ, but that they are converted and live their lives accordingly. In my Patriarchal blessing I am told that my posterity is valiant - that means our children and grandchildren and so on. That is what I want for all of them to be - valiant, and to be happy because of being so.

One last thought - I am deeply grateful, and honored, to be a mom, and a grandma. I am grateful that I can visit them on a regular basis (once or twice a year), but that we talk frequently, and that I never doubt their love for me and their dad. Our family is awesome, and I love each and every one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment