Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Because I Have Been Given Much

One of my favorite hymns, as you can now probably tell, is "Because I Have Been Given Much." There are multiple reasons for this ranking as a favorite of mine...1) The lyrics are simple yet the meaning is great, 2) it always reminds me of my mom. I can still remember sitting in church with her and whenever we sang this song she always got teary, every single time, and 3) I have been given much and it is a sometimes gentle, and other times (when needed) in my face, message.

Pat and I were discussing helping someone out recently, and I have to say (because I am oh so far from perfection) that I struggled a bit. On Sunday when I was home alone, and the house was still, this song came into my mind, and I began humming it. I was immediately humbled. THEN to top it off, in Sacrament meeting a youth that was supposed to speak a few weeks back, but couldn't because she had the horrible flu (like what Rach had in September, seriously, she ended up at the hospital because she was so dehydrated), then volunteered to give the talk when she felt well again, gave her talk. The subject, you ask? "Because I Have Been Given Much." I honestly have never heard of anyone being assigned to give a talk on that hymn before.

Was it for me? Indeed. Was it for others? I am certain it was, but I have no idea who.

I am grateful for the sometimes quiet nudging of the Spirit, and for the times when I am humbled into submission, and can take stock of the many blessings I have in my life, and then can freely, and happily, give.

No comments:

Post a Comment