Monday, December 26, 2011

Family

News Flash!
I love our family.
Wait, that is nothing new, right?
Anyone who reads my blog, or knows me, knows this about me.

As much as I talk about how important my family is to me,
it really hit home yesterday.
Christmas is obviously about celebrating
the birth of Jesus Christ,
whom we all love and are grateful for.

I am the first to admit that this is what Christmas is to me.

However, the other side of that is that Christmas
is about family - 
showing our love for one another through spending time together,
giving each others thoughtful gifts,
making special meals to celebrate the holidays together.

Only this year we didn't have that. 
I am not here to complain about it, really, I am not.

I was struck by a thought yesterday
during our Christmas program.
I am not sure how this thought crept into my heart
and mind during that time.
I think I was pondering
the importance of the Savior in my life, my family's life,
and mingling that thought with Pat and I
being alone this Christmas.

I love my husband dearly, more than I can express.
I can't believe that this is our first Christmas alone
without any family member
in 33 years, 
which was our first married Christmas together,
since I was expecting Sam soon after.
I married my husband for eternity,
and am so grateful that I did. 

So, here is the thought that struck me:
We only have each other for the eternities, 
that is the way this all started out.
Then these people started joining our family.
First Sam,
then Craig,
then Amy,
and finally,
Rachel.

They are each amazing individuals,
with all the imperfections, individuality, and quirks
one would expect in a family unit.
And I love them with all my being.
Yep, every single part of me, loves them.

Eventually they grew up and began bringing others into our family -
Sam brought Linzi,
then Rylee, Sadie and Chloe.

Craig brought Angie,
then Lucas and Darci.

Amy brought Brad,
then James, Gavin and Jack.

Rachel -
she hasn't brought anyone yet,
but when she does,
my, oh my, 
will he be one lucky boy!

So, here is the thing.

I want them all.
With us.
In the eternities.

Every.
Last.
One.

And that is the point that was brought home to me
so forcefully yesterday.
While I sat alone in Sacrament meeting.
(Pat was on the stand - conducting)

For all the love Pat and I have for each other -
 it is simply increased
with every individual that joins our family unit,
for the eternities.

Here's a look at all those I missed so deeply yesterday...

Sam, Linzi, Rylee, Sadie and Chloe

Craig, Angie, Lucas and Darci

 Amy, Brad, James, Gavin and Jack

 And finally...our Rachel

We are blessed to have the family we have.
We love each of you.

The beginning.

1 comment: