Thursday, December 15, 2011

Fudge

I spent a good portion of the day making treats to share with our HT and VT families. Yesterday I made super yummy Peppermint Popcorn (Our Best Bites), then today I was set to make Jan Hagel cookies, Guy Fieri's Blondie's, and then I was going to finish it off with fudge. After finishing the baking I had everything out, ready to go, to make the (Our Best Bites) fudge (which is more time consuming than what I usually do).

I realized that I needed to add more sugar to my container, since it was low from baking the other goodies. I grabbed the recently purchased 10 lb. bag of sugar that is in our pantry. As I was pouring the sugar into the container I noticed there were little black things in it that surely did not belong! Eeek! I quickly stopped the pouring process, and ran the bag out to the trash. The other contents that had actually gotten into the container I poured into a trash bag and threw it out in the trash. So disgusting.

I gave up on the idea of making fudge today, figuring I would go tomorrow and get more sugar. A little while later it dawned on me that I had actually purchased the ingredients for the never-fail, always smooth, yummy Eagle Brand Condensed Milk fudge. I was set! The best, very best, thing about this recipe is that it takes literally minutes to make, it's super, duper easy!

I am grateful that 1) I had purchased the ingredients, and 2) that I actually saw the little critters in the sugar before using it in a recipe, and 3) that I could make fudge afterall, which Pat will take to Sacramento for a meeting tomorrow and then we will disperse them to our HT and VT families!!

Since it saved me today I figured I should at least share the recipe with you...ya know, in case you have any unavoidable mishaps when you get to making fudge! ;)

Eagle Brand Condensed Milk Fudge
1 can Condensed milk (doesn't have to be Eagle)
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 - 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Line 8 or 9" square pan with foil, so the foil goes over the edges.
Melt chocolate with condensed milk and salt in saucepan over low heat.
Remove from heat, stir in nuts and vanilla.
Spread evenly into prepared pan.
Chill for 2 hours. Remove from pan by lifting edges of foil. Cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment