Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Christmas is in the air!

Last night I decorated the house for Christmas. While Pat and I were straightening the tree I held onto it in order to keep it up and not let it fall. While doing so I could smell the pine. It made me think back on a book the kids received for Christmas when Sam was little from Grandma and Grandpa Dell - "The Sweet Smell of Christmas." I think I have actually given that book to Sam's family. (which means I should to the others as well, right?) In that book they had scratch and smell's throughout the book - peppermint, oranges, pine and hot chocolate are the ones I remember. My, how they loved that book.

I am grateful that our senses can work in such a way as to remind us of important things. When one really considers all the symbolism involved in Christmas decorations we can't help but think of our Savior, Jesus Christ, which is who Christmas is really supposed to be about.

A few Christmas Symbols:
candy cane = the Shepherd's
evergreen/pine trees = eternal life
stars = the star of Bethlehem
candles and lights = the light of Christ
gifts = the gifts from the Wisemen

1 comment:

  1. you gave me that book for christmas a few years back. i think it's still in my room. woot!

    ReplyDelete