Monday, December 5, 2011

It IS a wonderful life!

The other night one of very favorite Christmas movies was on..."It's a Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed. Oh, how I love that movie - the heartfelt storyline, the acting, the message, it all works.

You know how you can see things repeatedly and sometimes something just hits you between the eyes? I didn't even really watch the movie, just the beginning. I figured we have it on DVD and I will watch it later, minus commercial interruptions, whilst sipping hot chocolate, and being cozy.

As I said, I watched the beginning, when they introduce Clarence, the angel. This experience so reminds me of reading the scriptures where you can read a passage so many times and then wham! it hits you right between the eyes. And you wouldn't think that I would derive something spiritual from a movie, but it happened.

The movie begins with two angels discussing the prayers that are being sent to heaven on behalf of George Bailey, who is down on his luck. George's friends and family members are praying for him, asking for heavenly help to assist him during this dire time. Now, here is what struck me. All those people that were praying for him didn't stop there. At the end of the movie they all came to his assistance, happy to serve, to give of their means and their love and support for George and his family.

Now there is a lesson that bears repeating - faith without works is dead. We need to not only pray for people but to do whatever we can in our power to help them.

I am grateful for the wonderful life I have and for all those who have come to my aid when I needed it. I am also grateful for the opportunity to help and assist others when I can. Service is something that means a great deal to me, I love that we can become more like the Savior as we reach out to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment